Thursday, June 09, 2005

Damn you, Tax Man!

The good news: I got an "attendance bonus" at work today, wherein I get 5% or so of my quarterly wage back depending on how little hours I missed. The bad news, 40% of it went away thanks to taxes.

We get all kinds of bonuses at work, being that we're employee owned and all, and I want to blow all of them on expensive useless things. But I can't this time, because I have to save for a car down payment. Stupid expensive useful thing. The wipers still work at least, which is more than I can say for the first car my wife and I had. We drove without working wipers or a heater for over a year in Minnesota. That's living on the edge.

I think I finally have credit built up for a car loan. Being that I'm new to the country, I cause all kinds of space time continuum problems for the credit people, who end up looking at me strange after assuring me that I simply must have good credit. Then I have NO credit, and they get all...what the...you're an adult, how come you don't exist until last year...what do you mean Canadians don't have social security numbers, don't they give them out when you're born...oh...you have your own system.

But a secured credit card, and an insanely huge intrest rate fee car loan later, I think I've built up the credit somewhat. I even got a normal credit card last year, with normal rates and everything, so I can rent cars, and book hotel rooms. Useful things when running from...the law!

The union workers at my place of employment vote whether or not to go on strike tomorrow afternoon. They should think hard about what really matters when they go to vote...the fact that I'd have to leave my cushy half-office job and do their job if they strike...no one wants that. Well, I don't at least, and that's all that matters. Plus, then I for sure can't buy last second tickets for a June Arizona vacation for my wife's friend's wedding next week...well, that wouldn't be a huge loss. But they're serving burritoes AND fajitas at the wedding...now that's Ari-Mex hospitality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home